Monday 31 October 2011

Halloween, workload & stress

That annoying feeling, when you have to do one thing, but you want to do some other one, can make one totally useless and distracted. It's called stress! That has happened to me today. It wouldn't be a big deal, but having college work and Halloween out there made me feel stressed out. Nope, you're wrong, didn't want to go partying instead of getting the assignments done, wanted to go out on the streets to shoot some Halloween. It's only once per year! And here in Ireland it is a big deal.

So I'm sitting here in the room, nice smell fills it up, can't focus, can't choose which big deal is bigger. Trying to run away, through making myself busy on youtube, I'm stuck, that's not a right solution to the problem. Have to move on! Decide! Fireworks outside, and I'm still inside. Rap is playing in the background, 'Kurwa zrób to poprostu' (Just effin' do it!) the artist rhymes. 
 
It's late already, dark outside, means no light. I'm setting the camera to the highest ISO available. An ultra wide lens, Tokina 12-24mm, is mounted on my Nikon. Holding it strong I'm walking down the street hoping to capture some trick'n'treat'ers, no luck, not at all. 


Plan for the evening, let's walk towards Lucan village as far as the church and Cunninghams Funeral Home, it's Halloween, right? I wasn't afraid, so far, and equipped with an ultra wide lens you wouldn't even recognise the fear, no camera shake.


The only thing that I was afraid of, was grain. Loads of grain! But that's not a scary Halloween stuff, like wasn't the funeral home really. It's guarded by Mary, right?


Streets were dead. No traffic, no people, no trick'n'treat'ers. I was about to turn around and go back home, but something wanted me to go just a few more metres ahead. 


Wearing a scarf was a good idea, a late October walk, not cold, not hot, but somewhere around perfect, thanks to that green olive thing around my neck. Something was pulling me forward. A couple of metres from the funeral home, I found steps, all covered in twilight, a very Halloween setting. Haven't got a clue where they're leading to. Decided to go for a "scary walk" down the steps.




As I was walking down the steps, I saw some light, would it be a bonfire, I asked myself. Bingo! I've found a small one, parents and children gathered around it. I've approached the scene slowly, thinking how to tackle it, knew that as soon as I'll press the shutter release button and the mirror will make its noise, the heads will turn. Turn to look at me. Well, could have maintained a status quo and not shoot, or do a welcoming mirror clap. What a pity that I don't have an ultra silent Leica like Garry Winogrand. Shutter released, heads turned, time to do something. Smile! And say what you doing, that worked, and even got some smile back. After just a few minutes the crowd went away and I was left alone with the burning symbol of Halloween, it was time to go home too.




No comments:

Post a Comment